My Photo
Name:
Location: New Delhi, India

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Freeloaders of the world unite!

I mean, really! I've seen people go into throes of sheer ecstacy at the mere thought of free food. They behave worse than Somalian dogs.... On the hindsight, I'm not sure if they were funny or downright petty.
My friend V, treated the department to a blackforest cake, for her first byline. I found the entire scene so sickening. I mean, well-fed people, on the other side of poverty line, went absolutely bananas over a cake!!!!
Would you believe, this colleague of mine, kept stealing glances at it, then when she couldn't stand it any longer, came and begged, really, literally begged for a second helping! And I'm not exaggerating. Too bad she couldn't be obliged coz there were others who had to be served a piece too. Then this colleague, one who volunteered to help V distribute the entire thing, helped herself to a fatso of a piece. It was bloody huge! She just carved the piece out for herself, with impunity, only because my friend is way too tolerant with these pests.

However, what took the cake...and literally, was this swarm of dimwits, who have friends in our department. Apparently, when the cake arrived, alarms were set off to warn their entire brigade on the floor, who stormed our little area and helped themselves too. To think, they didn't even know my friend. They had no idea why the cake was there, just till it was there for the eating!!!!
Food man, food. It brings out the beast in people.
There was yet another gastronomic revelation for me this week. For all non-journalistic readers out there, if you ever want to invite media attention to anything, no matter how banal, just advertise FOC brand (that's free-of-cost) food for hacks. They'll all come charging in, you won't even have to issue the customary press release.
I went to this press conference earlier this week. I was a little late. By the time I entered, I saw journalists occupying every inch of the space available, save a sofa or too. All busy noting down details being given out. Just then entered smartly dressed waiters, gloved and all, serving juices. They were followed by yet another set of smartly-dressed waiters, this time with yummy-looking confectionery, followed by a serving of oven-hot patties.
Soon, the notepads were discreetly replaced with plates laden with food. There ensued some problem vis-a-vis sitting space too, coz the juice glasses too had to be accomodated. The scene looked more from a party than a press conference.
A few of them, didn't want to let go any part of the treat. They juggled their juice glasses with cups of tea or coffee.
Again, I was stumped. Par kya karein, paapi pet ka sawaal hai.....

3 Comments:

Blogger mad angles said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... you know the reason journos go for PCs IS the food. why else would you go somewhere where there's no scope for an exclusive? Of course most of the PC's I went for were those MCD ones and each time bumped into he-who-shall-not-be-named and was too conscious about eating!

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol...that was a very sarcastic........anyways i fully symphathise with that cake

12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol...that was a very sarcastic........anyways i fully symphathise with that cake

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home