My Photo
Name:
Location: New Delhi, India

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Of sizzlers and sizzling stories

Its amazing how things one takes for granted, can turn out to be minehouse of interesting information. Indian Railways, for instance. I met this official from the 'grand old establishment' today and he was full of trivia on the railways during the Raj. Anecdotes on how a British engineer named an engine after a leading European singer he liked to how we should thank a Mr Sen for the initiation of loos in the trains. The letter that Mr Sen sent to the Indian Railways, requesting for loos on board can actually be seen and read at the Rail Museum in Delhi. Very fascinating. And as he went on, I, the hack that I am by profession, was rubbing my hands in glee, thinking that each of this could make an excellent story :) Actually, the difference between print and television media is this: nothing can beat the thrill of seeing your name before a story on the newsprint.

Coming to Mumbai monsoon, a friend spend 23 hrs trying to get to a place that was actually only 2 hrs away. Its only when one of your kith and kin is involved, do you realise the magnitude of the crisis. She hadn't spoken to her family in Delhi in two days, God knows if she had had anything to eat or anything. But going by the newspaper reports, that too seems very far-fetched. Speaking of rains, Delhi could sure do with some.

Okay, a candid confession. I've been dreaming, fanticising actually, of sizzlers they serve at a nice little family-run restaurant in Khan Market. I mean, there are sizzlers and there are sizzlers, but Chonas' sizzler wins hands-down. Oh...now I'll spend the rest of my office time thinking about it. How is it ever going to help me work better?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I met the same guy once. Remember when something was stolen from the Fairie Queene?

So are you doing a story on it? It is quite interesting.

6:48 AM  
Blogger PS said...

AB: Yes, I remember, you'd done a story about it. As a matter of fact, I'm covering it as a beat, so that's why I'd gone to meet him.

8:02 AM  
Blogger mad angles said...

Listen, PS, you owe it to your readers to post that letter by Mr Sen, really, pls pls pls!!!

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home