My Photo
Name:
Location: New Delhi, India

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Give 'em the boot!

Dressing down. Its a phrase I learnt from a friend whose dad was in the Army, and who used this word quite frequently to convey the fact that either he gave or received (in his younger days, of course!) a nice piece of mind. Apparently the fauj is quite fond of the phrase too. When I heard it for the first time, I liked it so much that I started using it with equal frequency.

However, I've never loved the phrase more than today. I mean, its incredible what one good dressing down can achieve for you. Thing is, I sent a package to AS, a good week before his birthday. Much to my chagrin though, it wasn't delivered to him even after 12-15 days after his birthday. So, thanks to much coaxing from AS, I went to register my complaint at the courier agency.

I don't quite know what I expected. But I wasn't surprised in the least when I entered their doorless (or if there was one, it was conspicuous by its absence), hot, and very busy office. It bore a striking resemblence to a sleeper class cloakroom at any of our railway stations.
The gentleman I strutted up to, surprised me with his service. After much customer-is-the-king crap, he gave me the royal dodge. ''Madam, CSD to aaj 6 baje band ho jayegi, hum kal aapko phone karke courier ka status batate hain'' Tolerant and understanding that I am, I gave them time and promised to return the next day to get an update.

Next Day.
Same story. Same greasy welcome (since I revealed that I was a journalist). The information, surprisingly didn't quite have the effect I was hoping for. He bullshitted me for a second day in the row. AS asked me to keep up the momentum. So I retuned back to office, called the guy up and blasted him, dropping the word 'consumer court' for added effect. He told me he'll try his best. That wasn't good enough for me.

The next morning I was brainstorming for a new day's strategy when I got a call from AS. Voila! the package had been delivered first thing in the morning! What's more, a representative of the courier company called him up twice to check if he had received the package alright and if all the contents were safe and sound. While I was exulting over victory, I realised that nothing in this country moves unless you give them a push or shove (depending on you case). So next time, things don't go your way, give'em the boot, I say

2 Comments:

Blogger mad angles said...

Yay! Way to go P! You actually waited so long. I would have taken a hockey stick and just clobbered the shithead!

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can rest in peace.... the damn thingi is in the rite hands.... and yes ofcourse sometimes you need that gnarl and flash ur teeth to get your way around.... cheers...

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home