My Photo
Name:
Location: New Delhi, India

Monday, August 07, 2006

Life's like THAT!

Leisure

What is this life if, full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
-
William Henry Davies
(1871-1940)

For once, I'm happy to say that I'm getting time for all of that and more. The mad rush that life's been the past two years, it seems as if now I'm sailing..watching all the scenery glide by me. And it's a terrific feeling!
I once watched a movie called Wimbledon, where the protagonist says ''all my life, I thought my life would come to an end if I stopped playing. But I was wrong, since it only began when I stoppped'' . I'm afraid I thought pretty much the same. I always thought journalism was my life, that if I stopped pursuing the profession, I would be a nobody. My job was, to a great extent, my identity. Then one fine day, I quit.
I had had enough. I didn't even think twice. Didn't spare a thought to my 'career'. All I craved for was some semblence of sanity in my life. I was tired to being at work mentally, even when I was out of it. Of my heart stopping momentarily when ever I saw 'Office' flashing on my phone.
And most of all, I was sickened by this terrible sense of foreboding that clung to me as soon as I pushed open the doors of my office building.

If there was ever a piece of advice that I passed on to the younger generations, it would be to never give unnecessary credence to your work. Work is a part of life, not your life.

My present workplace is a warm, friendly place. There lot of bonhomie among employees, a concept I never saw at my previous workplace. So much so, that the first day, I was bewildered.

And the work moves at a relaxed pace. There are deadlines alright, but you don't have to kill yourself to meet then. Which however, doesn't mean that they are relaxable, only that you're given the right amount of time and environment to meet them.

For those who've known me. I think it should suffice to say that I look forward to going to work each morning.

4 Comments:

Blogger Grey Shades said...

All the best lady! :)

2:47 AM  
Blogger aakriti said...

I so relate to that. :) I'm glad about the fact that some people, in small numbers maybe, understand that work is a part of life. Not life itself.

5:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

me too ... i just happened to read this piece when i was googling 'shantaram sucks' // ( don't ask me why !) .. but it is very well written ... hope i could some day quit what i am doing ... but i guess i dont have as much iof a choice ... i am doing my masters in USA under a very mean advisor ... who makes me work a lot .. and the same pressure of deadlines in completing projects ... doing tomorrows work yesterday etc etc !!! but i appreciate your decisions all the same ... good luck

6:24 PM  
Blogger PS said...

Ajay: Yeah, well, thanks. But I guess not every situation is so bad. Mine was completely hopeless. I would have given it up sooner or later. In your case, it could well be a phase..and you know what they say about phases na: ''This too shall pass.'' So just hang in there!

4:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home