My Photo
Name:
Location: New Delhi, India

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours

It's that time of the year again. How many times me and another colleague would have rated this one as the most boring, banal intros for a news story. It's the most befitting one in the current situation though. After all, it's time for appraisals. Wow, that was achieved with some flourish, I wish I could display the same amount of alacrity in filling up the appraisal forms. A kind-of-cute HR guy (I wonder if he was married...*sigh*) took us through a long and tedious process of what was their idea of fair judgment. I call it been there, done that...to no avail. No, the process hasn't filled me with any sort of dread, (I'm not a workshirker), but with a deep sense of cynicism. What's the bloody point?
To be absolutely fair, I and only I know the kind of commitment I have for my work. And the honesty with which I do it. Despite everything. My superior (to borrow a word from the cute HR guy's lexicon), really doesn't have an inkling of what I do and how I do it.
So, now the question is, how would he appraise me? Obviously, he'd find me disappointingly short of his expectations (if any). Yeah, this does sound like my word against his. So what's the solution? And the point for this post?
See, the solution is nothing. That I would get a less-than-flattering increment, that is if I get any, is for sure.
The point of this post, which I have been very inarticulate in making, is that I'm angry and disappointed at this system. A process where word of people telling absolute lies about their work and themselves, is taken as the gospel truth. Where people like me will probably die without a whimper.
But what I hate the most about this state-of-affairs is my inability to do anything about it.
And if you are wondering about the title of the post, it's what some people who will get an increment, do here.

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could freelance, if you could do that in your profession! What abt your immediate boss? Doesnt he appraise you? As far as i know the HR (however cute he may be) apprasies after the appraisals by the normal order of reporting is done with!

10:24 PM  
Blogger PS said...

Grey Shades: That's what...my point is that my boss, who has to appraise me doesn't have any idea of the kind and quantity of work I do, nor would he ever. So how fair is it that he judge me? As for the cute HR bit, the guy just came to run us through the entire process of appraisal, how we have to fill our forms etc. He may be the only good thing to emerge out of this entire exercise.

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol! :) Well atleast there was something good. But yeah i agree with the fact that if they dont know what you've been doing then they cant appraise you but then if no one other than you knows what you are doing, arent you freelancing anyway? Do you have a list of accomplishments or certain situations where you've saved the day noted somewhere?

10:13 PM  
Blogger PS said...

Grey Shades: Freelancing is not the case when you're on the payroll of a major national daily, isn't it! Anyways, que sera sera... Btw, you don't have a comment section on your blog, do you?

5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah not really! :) The comment box is right there but well... it jus disappears sometime!

3:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hectic offline life? ;)

12:59 AM  
Blogger PS said...

Grey Shades: Lol, no, just deciding on the topic of the next post :) what about you?

5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

Well traveling to Blore right now. So kinda stuck in a city with no friends, too much work and evenings with the TV! :(

9:19 PM  
Blogger PS said...

Lol, sounds like my life in Delhi...anyways, will be posting something soon...
you know what, may be you could go sightseeing, at least that's would I'd do if I were in your shoes...

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh so you aint from Delhi? Well actually I've stayed in Blore for abt 6 months. I was recruited for the Blore office and later I bullied them into sending me to Pune cause thats where home is!

So do know quite a bit of blore as it is. And trust me the traffic is so bad here that you jus take every minute you can spend off the road!

Hey so do you and Essar work in the same place?

9:51 PM  
Blogger PS said...

Grey Shades: Actually, am from Delhi, but since I spend a better part of my day at work, home's only for eating and sleeping purposes.

As for traffic, Delhi's no better. The narrowest of lanes are crowded at all times of the day, but, that I guess is true of any metropolitan city in India.

And yup, Essar and I work at the same place.
Btw, hope you have a nice time in B'lore :)

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah so I've heard. In fact I was chatting with Essar today and we were disucssing that article which was there in Outlook about Delhi being a rude city. Most of it so true man.

Will try to! Flying to Chennai on Friday. So feeling quite upbeat abt that! Have tons of friends there and man I love that place! :)

3:28 AM  
Blogger Rohini said...

My boss once told me that I did a lot of good work but not a lot of people knew about it. And that I should use up more airtime in meeting showcasing myself and my achievements. I feel workplaces are becoming more and more about managing perceptions than doing good work.

4:43 AM  
Blogger PS said...

Rohini: You hit the nail at the right spot! In fact, one of my former bosses told me the same thing...and though there seems no solution in sight, its a very unprofessional trend, so to speak...

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you've given up blogging eh?

11:48 PM  
Blogger PS said...

Lol...no, have been slightly busy...what abt u?

5:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) I havent been busy as such. Not atleast as much you are! Things are well, kinda staid these days. Lotsa reading happening though!

11:18 PM  
Blogger PS said...

Reading..hmm...that sounds good! So what have you been reading these days? Mine has gone for a six though

6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well its been a variety of stuff. Been reading "The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari", Jus finished a Robert Ludlum also plan to start a new Ayn Rand. Are ya a movie buff?

10:36 PM  
Blogger PS said...

Yes! why do you ask?

2:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jus asking! Plan to catch up with a whole load of movies this weekend. Saw V for Vendetta yesterday and loved it! There is this one movie called A Walk to Remember which I cant have enough of! I'm such a romantic wuss man!

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home