My Photo
Name:
Location: New Delhi, India

Friday, June 30, 2006

Wedding Blues!

I've been getting this rather disturbing feeling off late. I often feel that I don't want to get married. Sometimes, I ask myself what the heck have I landed myself into, and wouldn't I be better off without it? Is it normal? Are they bridal jitters or something? I don't know. But I often feel this way, ever since I got engaged that it. And I'd be damned if I say it aloud!
The very idea of going and staying at someone else's house make me nervous. I've never quite appreciated the concept, to be very honest. Several times my friends would try and organise this pyjama party of sorts, where they said we'd eat, chat, bitch and bitch some more. I'm always game for such enriching activity, only I don't want to spend the night at someone's place and do it. So, I'd carefully sidestep the issue, without (bless my soul!) offending any of my friends. My profession only helped matters, since there was always something or the other happening.
So, like I was saying, I would be utterly, completely, totally uncomfortable at someone else's house. And to think that I'd be living at their place for good. I shudder at the mere thought!
Also, I'm somewhat of an introvert, so that basically translates into me sitting in a corner and well, just sitting and watching others go about their activities. I'd be hesitant to move from one room to another, to stand in front of my in-laws or other relatives, God help me if I'm needed to open my mouth to say something. I'd even think 100 times before using their loo!
Plus, I've never stayed away from my parents. And I don't trust others easily. So, you see, all the ingredients for making my stay at my husband's place uncomfortale beyond belief.
My friends would argue that since my fiance is in the armed forces, I'd be moving around with him, and wouldn't have to stay with my in-laws.
But, I want to point out to them that it's only another cause for concern for me. I know that I'll be terribly homesick, would cry at the smallest of things and would want to rush back home. my home, that it.
It makes me teary-eyed right now, as I write this post to think of what the future has in store for me. And you can see how ill-prepared I am.
So it makes me wonder why was I so thrilled when I got engaged. May be it was because it sort of made our relationship official. or maybe, maybe I was just excited at the idea of being a married woman, married to someone I love. Whatever it was, I don't seem to want it much now. Oh! how I wish I could turn time back **sigh**

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But isn't love like that. When you first thought of marrying your friend, I am sure you must have had doubts about the whole thing.
Then you fell in love and everything was ok.

No matter how much of an introvert you are, your in-laws' place will also lose its novelty in a matter of days and it will become your house. His parents will almost be like parents to you and you will be comfortable there.

I am sure every bride (and groom?) goes through these pre-marital blues but then love conquers all.
Best of luck.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

call it off then!

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its jus a phase PS! it'll pass soon! The important part is that you are with someone you love...

10:57 PM  
Blogger mad angles said...

Pankh!!! Are you mad! You won't be living at HIS place - he'll be living at your place!

I thought you went to this swashbuckling, bra-burning, feminist bastion for college!


No but seriously, this place will be home for both of you. Stop thinking of it has HIS place for chrissake.

5:36 AM  
Blogger SwB said...

Pre-marital blues? :) I guess everybody gets that. Hell, I shit my load at the prospect of even meeting a girl, let alone living with her!

And which is this swashbuckling, bra-burning, feminist bastion college you went to?

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh...there she goes again..."ill cry at every prospect"as if now does she spare any opportunity worthy of shedding those tears...jab engagement nahi hua to is baat par ki hum engagement kyo nahi kar rahe...ho gaya hai to nahi raam kahani...vaie i am not at all surprised...aur anonymous...meri shadi main kyo phoot daal raha hai saale....ter to....

7:35 AM  
Blogger aakriti said...

Lol! No offence meant. but the "think twice about using their loo!" statement – that's hilarious.
of course there are bridal jitters. and "what have i landed myself into" phases will come even after ur married. And you will feel unconfortable in the "other house". but it'll get better don't worry.
take my word for it.;)

5:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey yaar...

Just make sure - You and your Husband stay alone...NUCLEAR Family Concept...Please get this well communicated Pre-wedding....It really sucks when you hear things like " Obviously ! my parents will live with us..kindda statements latter " ...When you stay alone - You can be yourself ! LIVING WITH INLAWS SUCKS..specially their possiveness poses that they try imposing on their son is so YUCK...Their immaturity...Their Attitude...Their Thought process..DAMN IT !!!
Specially since you've lived so attached to parents...Living with Inlaws will not work...
Relationship with inlaws can be nice , when you get to meet them once a while..rather than living with them.oh my GHOSH..Living with them screws the respect you have for them and their behavior towards you....
I've experienced It....

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home